This article is all about that state of being so many of us have experienced yet often goes unexplained. BEING UNGROUNDED. This article explains what it means to be ungrounded and offers practical, super easy suggestions on how to get grounded (and stay that way) in your daily life.
Are you a visitor to this page? I send emails with content like this out to this email list about once a week. Get on it to get great information directly to your inbox that is not ad centric* http://eepurl.com/huzEWP
What does it mean to be Ungrounded?
There are esoteric and material dimensions to this.
From an energetic perspective, being ungrounded often comes about because of life experiences that impact the ability of our emotional and physical energy to travel fluidly in, through, and out of our body. From an esoteric perspective, each person is meant to have a flow of energy that connects us to planet earth. We are able to receive certain stability and fuel from this. As flowers nestle in the soil, so too do we relate to earth. Thus, the term ‘grounding’. When we are not giving ourselves that nourishment, we feel it. From a material perspective, we as humans have certain needs like food, access to water, the desire to be loved and to feel safe. Ungroundedness may be the result of not having our physical and emotional needs met.
In general, we tend to feel grounded when we take care of 3 main components of our existence: our body, our soul, and the way we connect to life on the planet. We feel ungrounded when we do not care for the parts of ourselves that form our energetic, material, and emotional ‘roots’ to Earth.
Reasons People Become Ungrounded
As noted, there are both material and energetic reasons that people become ungrounded. Most of it revolves around whether we feel and experience safety on planet earth. Having said that, some of it has to do with what we are exposed to in our environments. Many people experience a mix of both. This is a non-exhaustive list of some common reasons people may become ungrounded.
- Rapid positive soul growth that has created positive vibrational change.
- Being in a place that is high vibrational in a way that you are not used to (yet).
- Being constantly exposed to technology. Working in an office building surrounded by computers or living in a big city with a dense population counts.
- Overhead lights that are common at schools, malls, and indoor public spaces.
- Being indoors without any or very little opportunity to hang out in green spaces. Being disconnected from nature and the planet.
- Going through a life change. Sudden or planned.
- Experiencing poverty. Ongoing uncertainty around if you are going to be able to keep a roof over your head, food in the belly, and the credit wolves off your back.
- Being homeless or experiencing housing insecurity.
- Living in emotional instability. This could include being stuck near or carrying around the long-term impact of abusive energy or acts. Living in a space where this happens, even if it is not in your home but say, the apartment next-door, vitriolic energy makes our soul turtle into the body.
- Experiencing or witnessing violence. Being exposed to it in your neighbourhood counts.
- Experiencing shock, trauma, and PTSD.
- Experiencing life-threatening illness.
- Being emotionally repressed. Not feeling safe or being given space to feel, experience, or express our emotions.
- Not having our basic needs met.
- Not feeling safe to connect to the energy of where you are.
Would you like to request a personal consultation? I am receiving them! Energy Management Consultations +Skillset Advising and Mentoring – Crow Medicine (crow-medicine.com)
How to Identify if You are Ungrounded
These are some indications that you are experiencing being ungrounded. Some of what is listed are the energetic factors, such as the feeling anxious or uncomfortable. Other components focus on the material gaps that come along with precariousness. It also includes acts one may engage in to help themself feel (or not feel) emotional and energetic connection with soul and environment.
- Feeling anxious and dealing with situational anxiety.
- Panic attacks.
- Not able to regulate an extreme emotion. Having a hard time ‘calming down’.
- Your feet do not touch the ground. Raised heels or walking on your toes (while not wearing heels or as a result of that) is a big indicator of being ungrounded.
- Cannot remember something (in the middle of a task).
- Not able to start an idea that is in your head ‘in this world’. Feeling like you cannot express the concept.
- Rushing from task to task and living in a blur that is ‘uncomfortable’.
- Having no personal time to check in and thus, feeling like you have no idea ‘where you are at’.
- Using your phone or social media to check email or communication spaces to excess.
- Not able to sit comfortably with your thoughts. This often leads to the two following factors.
- A tendency to consume alcohol or illicit substances, particularly using them as a ‘shield’ in difficult situations.
- Emotional eating.
- Disconnection from own wants, needs, and opinions. Not able to identify and or potentially not feeling safe to express them.
- Feeling a strong desire for sexual stimulation. Feeling almost overwhelmed by the desire to experience orgasm. Being willing to engage with risky behaviour to have that moment of connection with another.
How to Become More Grounded
The great news about being ungrounded is that it is relatively easy to take energetic steps to begin fixing that component. Though they may not immediately ‘fix’ some of the ‘big picture’ factors people feel ungrounded such as economic insecurity and experiences with violence, they help get us into the headspace where we can get to that. This is the magic and miracle of energy management. Here are some simple yet effective suggestions for the get started part.
- Be outside. Sitting with a tree or by a river and being immersed in the environment really works.
- Go for a walk. Preferably outside, but on a treadmill, track, or just on the spot works.
- 5-minute daily energy management in the am. Return to a grounding activity when you notice yourself lifting off. (I have a program designed to help this, see next section.)
- Stretch for 10 minutes.
- When an extreme or uncomfortable feeling comes in, feel it without being owned by it. Do not rush to put the substance, phone, or food in hand. Instead, breathe with yourself and ask yourself “Why am I acting like this? What is the message?” because you can trust, there is one.
- Start paying attention to where you feel most ‘ungrounded’. Is there a theme there?
- Practice expressing yourself in safe scenarios. Even if that means writing your thoughts in a scribbler.
- Get to know your soul and heal it. When you feel ungrounded routinely, it indicates there is a reason for ‘not grounding’.
- Have a snack in the moment (healthy) if you are feeling dizzy.
- Do weight-lifting or strenuous physical activity. This is top 3 for me.
It is very important to find ways to ground just about every day. Mix it up! Walk, meditations in a beautiful park, drawing, dancing, lifting weights, doing personal growth ceremony. It all counts.
Have a copy of the Energy Pillar or Soul Compass?
If so, you have a very powerful grounding tool with you right now. In fact, working with the energy pillar is my #1 suggestion for forming and keeping those nice strong earth connection points required for grounding. When you form connection to Earth, yourself, and your source-self you are taking care of the soul, body, and planet layers. Take a few moments when you feel yourself ‘going off’ and work with the crystalline earth bit as a boost..
Pro tip? This is especially powerful when done with a tree or whilst out walking! Get creative with it.
Resources to help you get grounded
This article is loaded with great information and thus, you have already got a few great ideas as you were reading it about what you may like to do. On a more practical, focused level, this is something that I cover the bases on strongly in my teachings BECAUSE it is so important. I recommend my teachings here because they work better than anything else I have ever encountered.
- “Energy Pillar”: A brand new self-access digital offering, ‘energy pillar’ is where you go to learn how to align your energy body with your physical body and to connect to your source self. This is a great place to start for anyone new here.
What you get: guided energy alignment + meditation video of me leading you through the energy pillar, a written copy of the practice, an audio version of the meditation + alignment, and a written version of the meditation + alignment sequence. You also receive guidance on ways to fit into your life. The best, easiest, most non stress place to start getting grounded today with not a lot of thought or learning. It is presented on a website you are able to log in to at your leisure. Not even the pressure of a school!!!
Study time: one afternoon. This is ‘tool’ focused. I provide the audio, video, and written practice so that you may come back to be guided through the alignment + meditation each day.
To access: https://buy.stripe.com/6oE8yJf3Zcyrgow6os
2. Breathe, Ground, Connect: Foundations for Energy Management: Learn the ‘Energy Pillar’ method of energy alignment and self-connection in depth. Learn the 3 layers of the energy pillar one at a time, and then put them all together. Discover the intricacies of ‘breathe’ as a source of power and peace, connecting to crystalline earth as a source of grounding, and your source self as a space of daily inspiration and guidance as you work with the method. Find practical ways to work energy management into your schedule to improve your focus, encourage emotional and energetic stability, and to improve quality of life.
What you get: 6 different videos showing you the various steps of the methods, 4 instruction videos explaining the course and how to do the energy alignment, a video copy of me leading you through the method, a written version of the method, and guidance on how to bring it into your life for maximum personal benefit.
Study time: I recommend about a month, dedicating one week at a time to each layer so you can feel how it works and see what it does for you. However, this is self-access and you are an independent learner. Some people may like to go through it all at once and then go from the pillar. Up to you.
To access: https://indicrowacademy.learnworlds.com/course/breathe
3) I also extensively go into the body and soul communication and connection in ‘Soul Compass’ the book and the deluxe course version ‘Pathways to Conscious Self-Connection’.
3) Pathways to Conscious Self-Connection: I also have a course version of ‘Soul Compass’ called ‘Pathways to Conscious Self-Connection’ that goes week by week, chapter by chapter through the book and method with you. This is self-access and built for a person who loves gradual learning. It is a great package with three months worth of material in this: read a chapter, watch a video, and practice the little tool. If you would like to learn more about it, click here: https://indicrowacademy.learnworlds.com/course/soul-compass-pathways
***Anyone picking this course up also gets an andara coupon to ‘Elemental Ascension’. That coupon is currently good for 40% off anything she has in the store. You will see it when you register in the very first folder of information in the course.***
Not sure if any of these are for you? I have taught people from all walks of life and all levels of expertise. Join me! These are limited time offers. My school is not always open. If you feel like getting in on the fun, this is a very good opportunity to do just that.
4) My book ‘Soul Compass: Pathways to Conscious Self-Connection’. The most value friendly place I lay out the energy pillar as well as self-connection techniques that will aid in grounding and so much more: https://crow-medicine.com/2023/01/13/soul-compass-pathways-to-conscious-self-connection/