This article is all about that state of being so many of us have experienced yet often goes unexplained. BEING UNGROUNDED. This article is the result of 20 years of personal research on the topic. I hope you like it!
What Does it Mean to Be Ungrounded
From an energetic perspective, being ungrounded often comes about because of life experiences that fracture the ability of our emotional and physical energy to travel fluidly in, through, and out of our body. There are esoteric and material dimensions to this. From an esoteric perspective, each person is meant to have a flow of energy that connects us to planet earth. We are able to receive certain stability and fuel from this. As flowers nestle in the soil, so too do we relate to earth. Thus, the term ‘grounding’. When we are not giving ourselves that nourishment, we feel it.
From a materialist perspective, we as humans have certain needs like food, access to water, the desire to be loved and to feel safe. Ungroundedness may be the result of not having our physical and emotional needs. In general, we tend to feel grounded when we take care of 3 main components of our existence: our body, our soul, and the way we connect to life on the planet. We feel ungrounded when we do not care for the parts of ourselves that form our energetic, material, and emotional ‘roots’ to Earth.
Reasons People Become Ungrounded
As noted, there are both material and energetic reasons that people become ungrounded. Most of it revolves around whether we feel and experience safety on planet earth. Some of it very simply has to do with environmental exposure. Many people experience a mix of both. This is a non-exhaustive list of some common reasons people may become ungrounded.
- Rapid positive soul growth that has created positive vibrational change.
- Being in a place that is high vibrational in a way that you are not used to (yet).
- Being constantly exposed to technology. Working in an office building surrounded by computers or living in a big city with a dense population counts.
- Overhead lights that are common at schools, malls, and indoor public spaces.
- Being indoors without any or very little opportunity to hang out in green spaces. Being disconnected from nature and the planet.
- Going through a life change. Sudden or planned.
- Experiencing poverty. Ongoing uncertainty around if you are going to be able to keep a roof over your head, food in the belly, and the credit wolves off your back.
- Being homeless or experiencing housing insecurity.
- Living in emotional instability. This could include being stuck near or carrying around the long-term impact of abusive energy or acts. Living in a space where this happens, even if it is not in your home but say, the apartment next-door, vitriolic energy makes our soul turtle into the body.
- Experiencing or witnessing violence. Being exposed to it in your neighbourhood counts.
- Experiencing shock, trauma, and PTSD.
- Experiencing life-threatening illness.
- Being emotionally repressed. Not feeling safe or being given space to feel, experience, or express our emotions.
- Not having our basic needs met.
- Not feeling safe to connect to the energy of where you are.
How to Identify if You are Ungrounded
These are some indications that you are experiencing being ungrounded. Some of what is listed are the energetic factors, such as the feeling anxious or uncomfortable. Other components focus on the material gaps that come along with precariousness. It also includes acts one may engage in to help themself feel (or not feel) emotional and energetic connection with soul and environment.
- Feeling anxious and dealing with situational anxiety.
- Panic attacks.
- Not able to regulate an extreme emotion. Having a hard time ‘calming down’.
- Your feet do touch the ground. Raised heels or walking on your toes (while not wearing heels or as a result of that) is a big indicator of being ungrounded.
- Cannot remember something (in the middle of a task).
- Not able to start an idea that is in your head ‘in this world’. Feeling like you cannot express the concept.
- Rushing from task to task and living in a blur that is ‘uncomfortable’.
- Having no personal time to check in and thus, feeling like you have no idea ‘where you are at’.
- Using your phone or social media to check email or communication spaces to excess.
- Not able to sit comfortably with your thoughts. This often leads to the two following factors.
- A tendency to consume alcohol or illicit substances, particularly using them as a ‘shield’ in difficult situations.
- Emotional eating.
- Disconnection from own wants, needs, and opinions. Not able to identify and or potentially not feeling safe to express them.
- Feeling a strong desire for sexual stimulation. Feeling almost overwhelmed by the desire to experience orgasm. Being willing to engage with risky behaviour to have that moment of connection with another.
How to Become More Grounded
The great news about being ungrounded is that it is relatively easy to take energetic steps to begin fixing that component. Though they may not immediately ‘fix’ some of the ‘big picture’ factors people feel ungrounded such as economic insecurity and experiences with violence, they help get us into the headspace where we can get to that. This is the magic and miracle of energy management. Here are some simple yet effective suggestions for the get started part.
- Be outside. Sitting with a tree or by a river and being immersed in the environment really works.
- Go for a walk. Preferably outside, but on a treadmill, track, or just on the spot works.
- 5-minute daily energy management in the am. Return to a grounding activity when you notice yourself lifting off. (I have a program designed to help this, see next section.)
- Stretch for 10 minutes.
- When an extreme or uncomfortable feeling comes in, feel it without being owned by it. Do not rush to put the substance, phone, or food in hand. Instead, breathe with yourself and ask yourself “Why am I acting like this? What is the message?” because you can trust, there is one.
- Start paying attention to where you feel most ‘ungrounded’. Is there a theme there?
- Practice expressing yourself in safe scenarios. Even if that means writing your thoughts in a scribbler.
- Get to know your soul and heal it. When you feel ungrounded routinely, it indicates there is a reason for ‘not grounding’.
- Have a snack in the moment (healthy) if you are feeling dizzy.
- Do weight-lifting or strenuous physical activity. This is top 3 for me.
It is very important to find ways to ground just about every day. Mix it up! Walk, meditations in a beautiful park, drawing, dancing, lifting weights, doing personal growth ceremony. It all counts.
Learning to connect to, express, and understand our emotions is an important part of the grounding process. These are two recent podcasts that I recorded focused on doing just that.
Click here for “Having Powerful Emotions”: https://crow-medicine.com/2022/02/19/experiencing-powerful-emotions/
Click here for ‘Forming Positive Emotional Connections’, a Crow Medicine Music Journey: https://open.spotify.com/episode/7w9EEQvpQvUdfCqVgprWon?si=7e8d8af998304583
This is a big topic. There will be more! Stay tuned, subscribe and come on back.
Come Study with Me
You have heard me mentioning the ‘body, soul, and planet’ method that I designed. This is where you start to see why and how it is unique. My method has built in layers to harmonize these aspects of your being. Work with it to get grounded and to hear your soul more clearly (or again). My programs cover the esoteric and energy components as well as self-communication suggested in this article. They are all designed for self-study at home that you take at your own pace which means you do not have to ‘show up’ for a class. You follow the learning program I laid out.
Click here for ‘Breathe, Ground, Connect’. It is a nonstressful access at your leisure *with a self study manual so you know what you are doing* learning experience that will support you in managing this: Breathe, Ground, Connect: Adult and Mature Learners (learnworlds.com).
Click here for ‘Soul Compass: Healing and Hearing the Body and Soul Connection’ (including a video presentation and direct links) Have You Been Feeling the Call to Soul Care and Self-Discovery? – Crow Medicine: (crow-medicine.com)
Click here for a great pack that offers both, the “Body, Soul and Planet Powerful Foundations Pack” for an 80 dollar discount: Body, Soul, and Planet (learnworlds.com) (described in the video presentation linked above.).